Seal-N-Grip™ is a trowel-applied, moisture-cure urethane that combines a rapid tacking adhesive with a high performance moisture vapor membrane - eliminating the need to install a separate vapor membrane and allowing for a simple, one-step application process.
- 4-in-1 formulation
- Patent pending Thickness Control™ Spacer Technology
- Bostik’s Blockade™ antimicrobial protection
- Easy spread formulation
- Low odor, 0% VOCs
- Bridges cracks up to 1/8”
- Contains 1% recycled rubber content
- Superior tack
- Sound reduction properties
- Exceptional Sound Reduction Properties
- Pigmented brown
Read and understand datasheet completely before beginning installation. Follow industry standards and flooring manufacturer’s recommendations for acclimation, design, layout and application of flooring material. If jobsite conditions are outside of flooring manufacturer’s recommendations, take necessary corrective actions. Apply Seal-N-Grip as directed (whether the moisture content of substrate exceeds or is within the flooring manufacturer’s recommendation) to address current or possible future subfloor moisture and cracks (up to 1/8”).
Surfaces must be clean, dry and flat, free of voids, projections, loose materials, oil, grease, sealers and all other surface contaminants. Seal-N-Grip may be used for concrete slabs with elevated moisture levels up to 15 lbs. per 1,000 square feet per 24 hours (using an anhydrous calcium chloride test kit according to ASTM F-1869 test method), or up to 85% relative humidity (tested in accordance with ASTM F-2170). Completely remove any adhesive residue or surface contamination by diamond grinding, shot blasting or scarifying. When diamond grinding, shot blasting or scarifying, the resulting surface texture must be similar to light broom finished concrete. Maximum acceptable floor variation is 3/16” in 10 feet. Areas requiring patching or leveling must be done using a Portland cement-based material (e.g., Bostik UltraFinish™, Fast Patch 102™ or SL-150™ Self-Leveling Underlayment).
PLEASE NOTE: Concrete substrates should NOT be smooth and reflective; they should be a dull or broom-type surface texture for the adhesive/membrane to properly penetrate and bond.
Open Lid - Surface skinning is common. Cut away skinned material and proceed.
The installation begins with a starter row. The starter row provides a stationary point to push against so flooring doesn’t move during installation. Use a spacer (such as a piece of the flooring that is being installed) placed vertically between the starter row and a wall. Spread adhesive no further than you can reach (two or three rows at a time) at a 45˚ angle.
Clean up as you go using Bostik’s Ultimate Adhesive Remover or mineral spirits (be careful not to harm finish), then dry buff with a non-abrasive paper towel.
After a few rows have been installed, and as you move across the room, tape the boards together using removable 3M Blue tape to prevent boards from sliding and to secure close-fitting joints. Rolling is recommended for all installations. Flooring that is not flat should be tacked, weighted, or rolled to ensure proper contact between the flooring and substrate.
Plywood Over Concrete: Score 4’x4’ or 2’ x 8’ sheets of 3/4” exterior-grade plywood on the backside every 8” to 10” by using a circular saw and cutting one-half the thickness of the plywood; “scoring or kerfing” takes the tension out of the plywood and helps to prevent possible warping or curling. Using a 1/4”x 1/4” V-Notch trowel, apply adhesive/membrane to substrate and then set plywood into the wet adhesive/membrane. Allow the adhesivemembrane to fully cure before nailing strips or using Seal-N-Grip adhesive/membrane to install flooring.
Hot and humid conditions reduce the adhesive’s open time, while cold and dry conditions extend the open time. All urethane adhesives should be wet to the touch and transfer to your fingers easily during installation. Do not install flooring into adhesive that has skinned over. Scrape it up and apply fresh adhesive.
Refer to “Open/Working Time Chart”.
Humidity affects cure to a greater degree than temperature; the higher the humidity, the faster the cure. Under normal conditions, light foot traffic is acceptable after 8 – 10 hours; normal traffic after 24 hours.
As you work, immediately clean any adhesive from prefinished flooring with Bostik’s Ultimate Adhesive Remover or mineral spirits (be careful not to harm
finish), then dry buff with a non-abrasive paper towel. Immediately clean all tools and equipment with Bostik’s Ultimate Adhesive Remover or mineral spirits before material cures.
Trowel Clean-up Tip: Before use, cover areas of the trowel that are not used to spread the adhesive with duct tape. After use, simply tear off tape before material cures, and clean the remainder of the trowel with adhesive remover.
- In order to protect flooring against damages caused by moisture, periodically check coverage of adhesive during installation (by pulling up a plank and visually inspecting); 100% coverage is required for all solid wood/bamboo flooring; ≥95% coverage is required for all other wood flooring.
- Due to limitations with solid wood /bamboo flooring (e.g., lack of dimensional stability), "below-grade" installations are limited to engineered wood flooring.
- Do not install solid wood/bamboo flooring flooring over sheet vinyl or VCT tiles.
- Bamboo flooring installations must follow solid wood flooring installation recommendations.
- This membrane is designed to reduce moisture vapor emissions that originate/emanate from below the membrane only.
- This membrane does NOT reduce/affect issues originating from the sides, ends, or top of flooring (i.e., puddles, water, leaks, etc.).
- This membrane does NOT eliminate all possible moisture related or install related issues (ie., improper acclimation of flooring, jobsite temperature/relative humidity, etc.).
- This membrane is designed to prevent excessive variance of moisture between the top, middle, and bottom of flooring that originates from the substrate.
- Slab temperature should be between 50°F and 95°F during installation.
- Do not use on wet, dusty, contaminated, glassy, smooth or friable substrates; do not use over substrates/slabs treated with sealers or curing compounds.
- Do not use in areas subject to hydrostatic head.
- Completely remove all adhesive residue and other surface contaminants by diamond grinding, shot blasting, or scarifying.
- Do not use over perimeter bonded flooring material.
- Use over gypsum-based underlayments is limited to dry, "above-grade" installations where the gypsum has dried hard (not dusty/powdery), with a minimum compressive strength > 2,000 psi for engineered wood installations, or minimum compressive strength > 2,500 psi for solid wood/bamboo flooring installations.
- Please refer to flooring manufacturer's recommendations and National Wood Flooring Association's specifications for proper acclimation and expansion relief around perimeter or throughout installation.
- Do not use with vinyl-backed cork flooring or foam-backed parquet.
- Uneven surfaces will result in hollow spots. Ensure that the substrate is level prior to installing adhesive.
- Do not use with cork flooring.
Store at temperatures between 50°F and 100°F. Shelf life is one year from date of manufacturing in closed, original packaging.
Re-Seal Partially Used Container: With pail upright, place a sheet of plastic (e.g., trash bag) over the top of the pail. Secure lid tightly over the plastic on top of pail. Plastic will help prevent the material from bonding the lid closed.
Re-open Partially Used Container: Remove lid. Carefully cut and discard cured material and plastic from top of pail. Any uncured material may be used.
Seal-N-Grip is available in 4 gallon pails